7 types of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence (AI) is the future. However, because AI is a relatively new technology, it is often misunderstood. AI has its pros and its potential cons, however to make an informed opinion on the technology, we need to first understand its aspects and the different types.
Here are 7 major types of AI:
1. Reactive Machines: Oldest forms of AI systems with extremely limited capability. They They imitate the human mind to respond to different kinds of stimuli. They do not learn from previous experiences as they do not have memory-based functionality
2. Limited Memory: In addition to reactive machines, these have the power to learn from historical data. Although, their memory is limited. Most applications today come under this category, including the ones using deep learning and being trained by vast amounts of data. Face recognition, chatbots, virtual assistants, self-driving vehicles are all driven by limited memory AI.
3. Theory of Mind: Currently, this only exists as a concept or a work in progress. It’s the next level of AI systems that will be able to better understand the entities it is interacting with “by discerning their needs, emotions, beliefs, and thought processes.”
4. Self-aware: This is still a hypothesis, on which movies and negative AI connotations are based. This is an AI that has evolved to be so akin to the human brain that it has developed self-awareness. This is not going to become reality for many decades if not centuries, but is the ultimate aim for AI innovation.
5. Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI): This encompasses all the existing AI that can only perform a specific task autonomously. Since they do not do anything more than what they’re programmed for, they have a very limited or “narrow” range of competencies.
6. Artificial General Intelligence (AGI): This refers to the ability of AI “to learn, perceive, understand, and function completely like a human being.” Ultimately, they will be able to build multiple competencies, form connections and generalizations across domains independently, which will reduce the time needed for training.
7. Artificial Super-intelligence (ASI): The absolute peak of AI research, this form completely supersedes all AI systems with greater memory, faster data processing and analysis, and decision-making capabilities, exceeding human capabilities.
It all bottles down to change. While tech and AI will greatly simply our lives and become a massive support system, it will change our way of life in the very least. As individuals, we cannot stop AI from booming, however, we can push for regulatory approval so these AI systems do not become a threat to our existence.